Earth Song; performed by VanderCook College of Music Graduate Ensemble 2009

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Nessun dorma

We played this aria from Puccini's opera Turandot in college and I fell in love with the song. Then I heard it with lyrics and thought it was awesome. THEN, today in conducting, I learned what the whole thing is about. It was pretty awesome. It really struck me today, something no lyrics have ever done. I thought I would share the Italian lyrics and a video of the performance by Pavarotti on here. Enjoy!

Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma!
Tu pure, o, Principessa,
nella tua fredda stanza,
guardi le stelle
che tremano d'amore
e di speranza.
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
il nome mio nessun saprà!
No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò
quando la luce splenderà!
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
che ti fa mia!
(Il nome suo nessun saprà!...
e noi dovrem, ahime, morir!)
Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!
vincerò, vincerò!

If you want to know what it means, just look it up:P

No comments:

Post a Comment