Earth Song; performed by VanderCook College of Music Graduate Ensemble 2009

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday

Today I needed to get out of the awful dorm room to get my mind off of some things. Couldn't think straight enough to get any homework done so I decided to go downtown with my friend to just catch some sites of the city. We decided to go to the Shedd Aquarium and I really enjoyed seeing the things I was able to see. We then walked for a good hour or so before catching the train to come back.
















Mary-Kate and myself at the Chicago Bean! What's the Chicago Bean you ask? Well,

















This is the Chicago Bean. A pretty sweet attraction I must say...no pun intended.

















While I hadn't taken any skyline shots yet this year, this one comes from the exit of the Shedd Aquarium. The tower formerly known as Sears can be seen on the far left.

















This was one of the last things we saw in Shedd Aquarium. It is a huge (HUGE) Snapping Turtle. He was sitting there on this rock in the water with his mouth open. Many people thought he was a rock sculpture because he remained motionless! Needless to say, I had to convince several passersby that he was indeed real and why he was doing what he was doing. It's one thing to see this kind of stuff on TV and it's completely different to see it in real life. It's amazing how this turtles tongue looks like a worm. It was really cool.

















Penguins. They were so much fun to watch.

















Penguins swimming in the water. I got to see one dive in. It was pretty funny watching them hop around on the rocks.

















This is a fine specimen from the Ohio region...oh wait...That's me getting my picture next to the otter sculpture. Ironically, I was wearing my Otterbein Alumni t-shirt this day. Seriously folks, this was not planned in any way.


















I found him!!

















This Starfish looked like a toy. I thought the picture came out pretty well:)

















The jellyfish seen here were amazing to look at. They would swim around and the lights would change their colors. Too bad it was in the middle of a line and I had to move along otherwise I would've gotten several more pictures of them.


















They even had Monkeys here! While they didn't do a whole lot, I still want one.

















These two fish were talking to each other...or making out....I couldn't tell which.

















This fish was HUGE!!! The picture does not do him justice by any means!

















This is one of the first guys we got to see. He had sharp, pointy, nasty little teeth.

All in all, I had a great time attending the Shedd Aquarium.

We got to see a number of different things throughout the aquarium (including Beluga Whales, Sea Otters, River Otters, Sea Lions, Dolphins, Lobsters and several other creatures) but I was not able to get solid pictures of everything.

All in all, I feel that I had a productive day of sight-seeing.

Upcoming sights for me to see will be:

The Tower formerly known as Sears
The Taste of Chicago (starting next weekend)
Grant Park Symphony concerts
Jazz/Blues Clubs
Rattlesnake sausage from Hot Doug's Sausage Emporium
Several Chicago style Pizzas

No comments:

Post a Comment